Moving a File

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Mar 7 04:27:26 EST 2007

On 7 Mar 2007, at 04:18, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> Again, I don't see that big a reason for complaining and I don't
> think it's a bug.

Well, it's not really a complaint (well a bit I suppose!) but really
I was posting because I was shocked and thought that it might save
some poor soul loss of a file or worse still their job/contract!

> I would have a hard time with a function that might give me a
> dialog asking me if it's ok to overwrite or not. I would rather
> have the primitive and do the dialog and checking myself, as you have.

I agree I wouldn't want a dialog box either, but it would be good if
it either just refused to delete the file silently, returned an error
code and/or threw an an exception that could be "caught".

> You're right in saying the docs could reflect more about this,
> however. And the naming conventions -- don't get me started -- look
> at "destroystack". That's the most misleading.

Yeah, I know there are lots of places where the documentation could
be so much better and it could be done so easily. Take this problem
for example, if the online documentation had a note warning that
file could be overwritten it would be something at least. Especially
since when you consider that the documentation does have this to say
about rename:

Caution!  This command can be used to rename or move files and
folders your stack did not create. Of course, a stack should not
rename or move files and folders it didn't create without obtaining
explicit confirmation from the user.

I don't know about you but most of my Apps access files that are not
created by my stack. I can't see what the problem is with this and
why the author would think to caution us about it, especially when it
will actually delete files!!!!!  A fact which they are quiet about!
It's a bit like saying:

Caution: Being near an H Bomb Explosion can cause slight discomfort!

The whole system just seems crazy to me. It would literally take
someone 5 minutes to change the documentation in this case (and in
the case of the "array" entry) , but you have to fill in a bug report
etc. all if which takes longer that just changing the docs! I'm not
saying that filling in a bug report is wrong, just that if for things
like this that are easy to fix and just affect the docs it would be
good if the change could go into quickly rather than waiting for the
next release where it might or might not be fixed.

> cool ......  "The Wilds of Kent".

It is nice here, I'm near the River Medway and there is a Cold War
Russian Submarine complete with a hammer and sickle moored nearby
where I am staying!

All the Best
Dave