File transferring

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 04:33:35 EST 2007

On 3 Mar 2007, at 00:08, Chipp Walters wrote:

> On 3/2/07, Dave Cragg <dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > And finally, is there any good / sane reason to use LibURLResetAll
>> > in the standalone or is that just looking for trouble.
>>
>> I'd avoid it if you can. I've never included it in a standalone.
>
> Dave, you certainly are the master (and inventor) of libURL..but,

Not the inventor. Fixer and sometime feature-adder, perhaps. :-)

> I've been using resetAll for years now in my standalones.  When
> requesting a file from a server, I enable a 'STOP' button and clicking
> it will immediately kill the connection and reset the libURL settings
> (callbacks etc..). I've never had any problems doing so. Is there
> something I don't know?

Probably not. :-)

It does two things:

1.  It closes *all* open sockets. This could be a problem if you have
sockets open for other reasons.

2. It deletes all its own scipt local variables. This includes any
urlCache content. This shouldn't be a problem, but a few problems
have been reported when libUrlResetAll is called and then, in the
same handler, a subsequent url call will fail. It's as if the engine
doesn't delete the script locals synchronously, but decides to wipe
them out just when the next url call sets them.

In most cases, neither of these will be a problem. Your Stop button
example should be fine. (Except for any lost cache data.)

Cheers
Dave