XP and Vista question

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Mar 2 19:14:01 EST 2007

> Last I saw, Apple sold Operating systems...for even more than what I
> pay for on Windows (XP Home OEM is < $99). I don't think they 'lose
> money' when they sell their OS.

I think the idea is that they make way more money off of the
hardware. They could triple their OS market share, but if it cuts
into their hardware sales they might actually be worse off.

Obviously they make money off of the OS, but de-coupling it from
their hardware would be a net loss.

> And please everyone, if you want to talk about draconian DRM issues
> and proprietary (mis)dealings, you HAVE TO include Apple in THAT
> discussion. For crying out loud, their getting their arses sued off in
> Europe over the same issue.
>
> I'm not defending MS's idiocy, but JEEZ.. fair is fair. Mac fanboys
> not withstanding.

Agreed. It seems there is no good guy in the DRM world, just degrees
of evil. Ugh.

Please, enough with "fanboy" though... it's an awfully condescending
term for a pretty well-educated crowd, even if you do think some of
us are nuts in this particular debate.

- Brian