XP and Vista question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 2 14:39:14 EST 2007

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Ken Ray wrote:
>
>> I'd figure it's more like 4-5 years at least - according to reviews and
>> personal experience, Vista just doesn't have enough going for it to
>> make people upgrade. New computers, of course, will come with Vista by
>> default, but existing XP computers may not be upgraded to Vista for a
>> long time.
>
> Not only that, but I've talked to several people who say they will
> refuse to install Vista for any reason because of its draconian DRM
> scheme. One guy told me, "Why should I do an expensive upgrade that will
> just limit the way I can use my computer?"
>
> I expect the uptake will be slower than usual.

It's tragic for the entire computing world that the Linux community
can't get its collective act together.  It can and should replace
Windows, but with such a dizzying variety of distros most users just walk.

Some day, some day....

And when that day happens, when the Linux community standardizes on one
distro universally regarded as THE consumer distro, Linux will take half
of Microsoft's market share in under five years.

But with all of the attitudes preciousness surrounding each of the Linux
distros, I can't begin to guess when that day will come.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation