Checking wireless connection

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Thu Mar 1 18:13:42 EST 2007

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to check a wireless
connection and, when it's momentarily down, re-establish the
connection. Our entire system is dependent on a solid wireless
connection, but even with a quality router and booster antennas,
we're still finding the connection drops out briefly throughout a day.

Right now, our (client based) Rev app tries to transfer a very small
file from the server to the client machine before initiating any
download or upload actions. If the transfer fails (it's a simple....
put url xxx into xxx ... function), it waits for a few seconds, then
tries again. If that second attempt fails, it alerts the user that a
problem exists.

Questions:

1) how many times should the download attempt be made before giving up?
2) how long should the interval be in between attempts?
3) does the socketTimeoutInterval function apply to "put url"
requests or does the "put" request just try briefly and then return
an error if unsuccessful?
4) does it make sense to use libURLresetALL in this process or is
that just looking for trouble?

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Richard Miller
Imprinter Technologies