Deleting files on Vista

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Jun 29 11:53:48 EDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:23:11 -0400, Shari wrote:

> I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem for a fellow on Vista.  And he's
> not very forthcoming with info.  Or rather, his description is simply
> wrong when I ask him questions, or he doesn't answer the question
> asked, but provides other non-related info instead.  So I do not
> trust that he has followed my instructions :-)
>
> In Vista, if I can create files to a location, shouldn't I also be
> able to delete them?  Is there any chance that Vista allows creation,
> but not deletion?

First of all, where are you creating the files? Is it in the Program
Files folder? If so, it will be virtualized to:

   C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
Files\<APPNAME>\

So this:

>     put specialFolderPath(x) & "/VirtualStore" into dPath
> put "/someFile" after dPath
>       if there is a file dPath then
>         delete file dPath
>       end if

probably won't work... (This is covered in the Vista "Gotchas" tip at
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/env007.htm).

> He does have Vista.  So.... does Vista allow create and not delete?
>
> And is it possible to delete from VirtualStore?

Yes... in fact I've been able to delete from the VirtualStore even with
UAC turned on. So I just think it's a path issue. Best would be to
check to see if the file exists before you try to delete it, IMHO.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/