Deleting files on Vista

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Fri Jun 29 10:56:57 EDT 2007

>Not to my knowledge as there is no real way of knowing where Vista
>is going to pop those files.  That's the problem with VS - IMHO.  In
>addition there is every likelyhood that VS will not be in future
>editions of Windows and or may change in the service packs for
>Vista.  It's best to avoid virtual store like the plague.  It's
>unpredictable and can completely alter if your user turns UAC on and
>off.
>
>Scott Kane

VirtualStore disappear someday?  Microsnot undo something bad they
created?  Surely not!

I didn't write to VirtualStore, I am just wondering if my unstaller
did indeed do its job, but that VirtualStore is storing a copy of the
files wreaking havoc, preventing the new version from properly
installing.  That's why the uninstaller polls for that location as
well when deleting the files it created, in case Win itself did the
duplicating.  Which would make you wonder if the permissions would
indeed be set to Once Created, There Forever.

On launch, the app checks to see if the prefs files exist.  If not,
it creates them.  According to him, even after running the
uninstaller, the app is acting like the old files still exist so it
is not creating new ones.   This is problematic because I changed
some fundamental things in the app, and it needs to create the newer
files to run properly.

I've instructed the fellow to do a full search of his drive for the
folder my app creates for its pref files, and to look in VirtualStore
as well.  I do not know if he will do this, or is even capable of
doing it.

Very frustrating!

Shari

--