character to justify text

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 22:43:21 EDT 2007

On 6/27/07, -= JB =- <sundown at nwrain.net> wrote:

>   The problem with making a font and
> then using my own character it would change the character count.
> Of course I could easily add the character and then subtract it but
> who knows what other weird things I might find.

One thought, if you're going to go to all the trouble of making your own
font, is to include several versions of the space character, ie a 3 pixel
space, a 4 pixel space, etc etc. Maybe accessible via spacebar = 3px,
option+spacebar = 4px, shift+option+spacebar = 5px. Then I assume a simple
'repeat for each' replacing each standard 3px space with a 4px space until
you get to the required width, and if you replaced all in a line and it
still wasn't wide enough you go on to 5px, 6px etc etc.

That way the char count wouldn't change.

Just a thought, but then again, the thought of creating a font from scratch
seems pretty daunting to me ;-)