WEB 2.0 and iPhone Dev

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Tue Jun 26 04:38:05 EDT 2007

Richard Gaskin a *crit :

> jbv wrote:
> > A good compromise would be to have transcript implemented inside a browser;
> > then HTML + CSS + Transcript would be a much more exciting approach...
>
> In principle, yes.  In practice, maybe not so much:
>
> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2006-November/089327.html>

yes, I know this plugin idea has been already discussed at length, and frankly I'm not
100% sure I know what I'm talking about, but I've always had the feeling that an open
source browser project like Firefox could have been a good opportunity to introduce
Transcript as an alternative to js. Of course, it should have been available in the
downloadable package from the beginning. Only FF users would have benefit this
plugin, but at least it would have attracted attention to Transcript for millions of FF
users (or at least a large portion of them).

Furthermore, if similar plugins were available for other browsers (IE and Safari for
instance), ppl who enjoyed using Transcript with FF would be perhaps more keen to
download those as well.

Last but not least, the facts that  1)Rev engines already exist for a large number of
platforms, and 2) the DOM uses (more or less) the same kind of graphic objects than
desktop apps (images, text) should not mean lots of code re-writing to generate a
browser plugin... At least, it could be worth the effort regarding the large exposure
it would reach...

But again, I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm talking about...

JB