clipboarddata: a mind bending bug tracking excersize....

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Jun 25 10:38:50 EDT 2007

I cant for the life of me track this one down - i am trying to copy text
onto the clipboard so it can be pasted into a browser. The last lines of the
script are:

set the clipboarddata ["text"] to someHandler
> put the clipboarddata ["text"]

Tow basic points:

   1. The script works fine as is and the handler is put into the message
   box.
   2. Remember these are the very last 2 lines in all the examples, and
   variations that I've tried.

This is the wierd bit - if I switch to the browser it does not paste, and if
I then go back to Revolution the clipboard is empty! Even stranger is that
if I don't switch to the browser - i can paste the "copied"  text within
Revolution. In fact I can run the script and paste the clipboard to my
hearts content in Revolution, but switching to the browser results in
nothing in the clipboard in both the browser and Revolution?!?

Even more maddening and bizarre is that the "bug" can be fixed by creating a
button with all the same handlers in it. Even creating various tests in
which the very same code is called (by sending a message) - it all works
fine. So no copy and paste issues with funny characters in the script. And
there is nothing wrong with the script, except in the particular way it is
called - which should not have any effect? So i's one of those - I have no
idea...

The $100 question is what could be causing the last 2 lines above to bug
out? If anyone has a suggestion - I can track it down and file a bug report.
The particular script does all sorts of complicated stuff before the last 2
lines - but unless this is backwards causality there is a RunRev bug here
somewhere that Id like to file with an example stack. It's just that I
cannot simplify the example to send in - because whenever I do it works fine
:)