Best Practices in Rev development

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jun 21 15:02:16 EDT 2007

Devin-

> Of course now, as of Rev 2.8.x, I can teach them that 'on <event>'  and
> 'command' handlers are two different things: use 'on' to trap  standard
> event messages and 'command' to write your own handlers. I'm  still
> pondering whether this distinction would gain me anything when  I'm
> teaching new Rev programmers. Do I gain anything by emphasizing  the
> somewhat artificial distinction between messages and commands?

A good question. At the moment I think the answer is no. Right now the
drawback to teaching this would be the loss of backward compatibility for
pre-2.8.1 versions (linux, Mac Classic, those of us with OSX 10.2.8). But I
have hopes that as rev evolves in the near future there will be more of a
real distinction in the two, at least as far as speed goes. Conceptually
they *are* different things, but I don't know that I would try explaining
this to new rev programmers.

--
 Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net