How to determine bug severity level?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 21 13:09:15 EDT 2007

Michael Binder wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am getting ready to report a bug.  Its my second bug, but will be my
> first report (J Landman Gay kindly reported my first bug after it was
> discussed on this list).
>
> I am a bit uncertain about how to rate the severity level.  Actually, I
> think I do understand how to rate the level, but I disagree.

There's a list of guidelines on the bug entry page, which is why I rated
your first bug as minor. But you can assign any level that seems
appropriate according to the list. You might include an explanation of
why you are increasing the severity level in the comments area of your
report, so that the team knows the reason.

I'd be cautious of marking something like this a "blocker" or "critical"
though; those two categories are reserved for severe problems like
engine crashes and lockups, and the team is likely to reset your level
to something lower than you'd like. Probably "normal" is a good choice.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com