How to determine bug severity level?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 08:22:39 EDT 2007

> For example: IF you have a list field set to allow multiple contiguous
> selected lines, AND you have not incorporated Ken Ray's workaround,
> THEN you have at least a cosmetic bug.  If you then use the
> 'selectedlines' function to doSomething with the hilited lines, then
> you have a serious bug. (because the lines returned by the function
> are not the same as the hilited lines that the user sees).  In my app,
> that resulted in my user editing data that she did not intend to edit,
> and not even realizing the mistake.  Honestly, I would rather my app
> crash then do that.
>
> So, how would you rate this bug?

I wouldn't care much, and leave it at normal. The  Rev team will change
the severity, or any other field in the database, to something they
think is right, completely ignoring any objections you might have. I'm
sure that simplifies handling bugs for them, but might make you less
likely to like them. Obviously they got their priorities set.

Have fun
Björnke

--

official ChatRev page: