Best Practices in Rev development

Robert J. Earp bob.earp at ashford.ca
Wed Jun 20 19:55:10 EDT 2007

I'm sure that even the most perfect code does not declare all local
variables as in the case of repeat loops, and practically speaking
declaring them has no benefit.  However, a MUCH more important point
is to name variables with something short and meaningful, and if you
do this with a "l" or a "g" as a first letter the code becomes self
explanatory.  We tend to keep a master list of variables in a cross
reference as we talk to external devices.  That helps too.

Sorry Mark, I don't put code in separate handlers unless the code is
going to be used more than once.  Then the handler is stuck up the
project somewhere its  To always create two handlers just ends up
with unnecessary message passing (overhead).

Generally our projects are built by a group, so one other major
recommendation is to add lotsa comments to the code.  When I'm the
only one developing a stack it always seems a waste of time, but with
my brain it's saved me many times in the long run.

Richard, didn't you publish a paper on recommended coding standards?
If I remember correctly it was extremely valuable to new and old
developers alike, and well worth reading every year or so.

Just my $0.11 worth, correcting for the Canadian exchange Jacque ;-)

best, Bob...

Robert J. Earp
Ashford Technologies Inc.
#8 5965 205A Street, Langley