For Each Anomaly

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Jun 20 15:37:25 EDT 2007

On 20 Jun 2007, at 19:47, Jim Ault wrote:

>> constant myConstant = myVar
>> repeat for each line with constant LNN in myConstant
>> end repeat
>
> To be sure, Björnke, computer languages can be confusing.  Try
> Applescript
> and its highly-unintuitive world of variables!!  What a headache.

You ask any non programmer who would like his own custom program, why
they do not use programming languages. Then think about how to change
rev to make it easier for these people.

> So let's look at the example you have shown above.
> In this case, LNN cannot be a constant, since its value needs to update
> every iteration.

Why not? Using a constant makes more sense in a case where the user
can't change the value. I don't care if the computer sets the content
of a variable or a constant. But i care when a value is labelled as
changeable to the user, but is actually not.

> Maybe there should be some area of the docs that addresses this issue
> of
> power user tools vs general public tools.  I know I had to spend
> considerable time learning the better code techniques in Rev over the
> last 3
> years.

This was the sentiment that made me enter the discussion in the first
place, so I repeat from my first post on the topic:
"Adding description for every unexpected behaviour is like trying to
prevent a breach in a dyke by explaining to the water that it should go
somewhere else. If the language would behave as expected, there would
be less airquote & bug & airquote reports immediately (and less
breaking dykes)."

Down with the experts, long live the inexperienced
Björnke