happy anniversary

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 09:51:18 EDT 2007

Gosh, I don't stand a chance: born in 1962, sent off
Hollerith cards to Imperial College in 1974, worked
with a Research Machine 1976.

Graham Samual wrote:

"The sheer intellectual drive and sense of fun"

and it seems to have gone; to be replaced by people
who are deadly earnest and wouldn't know lateral
thinking if it hit them in the head.

That is why I spend most of my time teaching Primary
kids English (and sneaking in the odd bit of
programming when their parents are off their guard) -
the sense of wonder is still there - of course it gets
raped by the glut of hi-tech pap and wall-to-wall
sense bombardment that is the day-to-day of the modern
world.

Recently, I started my younger son on Runtime
Revolution: and rediscovered that sense of wonder when
attached to computers (my older son is 'married' to a
piano and spends about 7-8 hours a day playing that).
I do believe that really innovative computer work can
only be done by those who still manage to retain that
sense of fun and wonder.

Needless to say; I start kids programming by playing
with cups and buttons on the carpet - variables,
constants and strings are a bit abstract for children!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.