happy anniversary

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Tue Jun 19 08:23:59 EDT 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Cal Horner wrote:

> A Challenge to the list members.
>
> On June 14, 1957 I entered into my life long love affair with the
> computer.
> Back then it wasn't called IT. It was simply DP. COBOL and Basic
> didn't
> exist. Fortran was only a baby.
>
> My first computer was peg boards,  sorting machines and card
> readers, and
> chain printers.
>
> If you calculate the years and days properly you will see it comes
> to fifty
> years.
>
> My challenge is a simple one.
>
> Is there anyone on the list with more time in the profession than
> me. Or am I the "Last Man Standing"?

I can remember assembling a "science project" christmas present about
1960 involving a pegboard, wires, and light bulbs that the
instructions called an "electronic brain"!

But just what the heck are "chain printers"? (I envision a steam-
operated inkjet complete with pistons)

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.