OT strange tech support calls

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Wed Jun 13 13:06:34 EDT 2007

In a recent thread, I commented about the tech support issues that
come up, where some users do not understand very basic concepts.  And
how I wouldn't want to add to it by having to put out multiple
versions for one platform.

Today's never-before-encountered tech support issue:

His platform:  Mac OSX 10.4.9

His problem:  He couldn't find a menu item in my software.  He
claimed that the menu itself did not exist, that there was absolutely
no menu of any kind, whatsoever.

After several go-rounds, I requested a screenshot of his full
computer screen while running my software.  He sent a screenshot of
the program's window only.  Of course on a Mac, this wouldn't show
the menubar.  After requesting again a full screenshot, we found the
problem.

The menu existed.  But he was expecting it to be in the window
itself, rather than at the top of the computer screen.  Even though
several of my emails to him told him to look at the top of his
screen, he failed to understand until I asked for a screenshot.  Then
he figured it out, and apologize profusely.

Am not sure if he is a Windoze to Mac switcher, or simply a computer newbie.

My users range from his level of expertise to highly technical folks.
But I try to keep the software understandable for all levels of
usability.

:-)
Shari
--