Printing an Image

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 12 17:53:49 EDT 2007

-= JB =- wrote:

> The print command prints only the area of a card that is visible in the
> stack window. To print an area of a card whose objects extend beyond the
> window boundaries, either set the stack's rectangle so it's large enough
> to hold all the objects to print, or use the print...from form of the
> print command.
>
> I am interested in printing referenced controls without seeing them
> displayed and also
> positioning them where I want.  From the above statement I need to use
> the print...from form
> of the print command.

Well, yes and no, and maybe. ;) Where do you want to place the objects?
If they are outside the window boundaries, then yes, you'd have to do as
you say. But note that invisible windows will still print fine, and that
is, in fact, a popular way to set up printing routines. You create a
stack (usually a substack made just for that purpose) with a layout that
matches how you want your page to look. It can have images, objects,
whatever you need. If necessary, fill any fields with the text you need
to print. Then print the card. The window is never made visible, so the
user never sees it. In a way, the printing stack acts like a print buffer.

> Do you have any info on this or can you direct me to the best area to
> read about it.

The best way is to read other people's scripts, but finding those can be
hit and miss. I just looked at revOnline and didn't find much there.
There are a couple of resources in the RR material. In the Rev docs,
click the "Getting Started" icon and then the Advanced tutorials. There
are two printing tutorials in there, one on basics and one on laying out
custom reports. There is also a tutorial online by Dan Shafer (but I've
lost the link; does anyone have it?)

Maybe someone has a nice, fairly generic printing handler that could be
posted here?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com