FTP user names and passwords -- secure or not?

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon Jun 11 19:56:18 EDT 2007

No. With FTP, the username and password are sent 'in the clear', ie,
not encrypted in any way. UrlEncoding is simply a way of passing data
around the 'net in (I think) 7 bit format, and is decoded in a
standard way that anyone can use.

AFAIK, there's no way to encrypt passwords when using FTP.

Best,

Mark