Hobbyists vs Pros

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Jun 11 15:16:48 EDT 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:51:09 +0100 (BST), Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Re the 2.9 incarnation of Runtime Revolution:
>
> there is something a little odd here as I signed up to
> Beta test for 2.9, and recieved all the betas and
> release candidates of what became 2.8.1.

It's a long story, but the version numbering got messed up (I can fill
you in offlist if you really want to know), so 2.9 is a new upgrade
post-2.8.1.

> Now, assuming 2.9 is "one step beyond" ["the heavy,
> heavy monster show" - Oh Dear, showing my age] 2.8.1 I
> am surprised that there seem to be no Betas of 2.9
> forthcoming.

Well, 2.8.1 just got released a few weeks ago, so give them some time
to get past an internal alpha stage, will ya? ;-) One of the issues
many of us had with pre-2.8.1 releases was that the testing cycle was
too fast. 2.8.1 was a good, thorough testing cycle, and I hope they
continue with that trend.

> In the light of the recent series of rather repetitive
> crits of 2.8.1 I would have expected the beta-testing
> to continue: and I, for one, was already with a couple
> of 'bitchy' tests to run on the betas.

It will continue, I'm sure... just be patient. :-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/