W(h)ither Rev??? - (was sundry recent rants, with ever-increasing parentheses and unending tree branches)

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sun Jun 10 12:34:12 EDT 2007

Mike et al.

I am not an investor. I produce open source apps and closed source
apps in Rev. I produce them in Macs and deliver in windows and linux
with success. And yes, I build web applications in Rev.

I am not biased. Some stuff could be made simpler or easier, like the
FFI and being able to use native syntax but I don't think and open
source revolution is the way to go now. I belive we would not have
that wonderful team we have working full time on the product if we
went opensource.

There are many threads on this list by people telling runrev how to
manage their business. Of all the xTalks out there, they appear to be
the only one gaining grounds and staying up. And I keep seeing lots of
"I know more bout management of a company than all you guys" mails on
the list. They are closed source, that does not mean tyranny or that
we're on a fight with them.

I am getting really tired of those threads. No one said a single
plausible, logical, reason to go open source now. I don't care about
20 years ago, Rev is not HC. RunRev is not Apple, Adobe or Google.

RunRev is a small team company in scotland.

We can work together, we've been doing that for years and we're doing
fine. If you guys belive that open source would squash bugs, then why
don't you gather a group and build regression tests. Then when RunRev
team builds a new engine, they can try your tests and please you.

I am tired of OSS pointless discussions... I want to get back to
talking code, software and things like that.

We can build repositories of code you know, there are plenty, we even
have a subversion external that Chris and Chipp presented in RevCon
West.

We can build open source libraries, check libCGI or my EasyCGI.

We can build web applications, we could do better in that area, but
still we can! check http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/lexicon
for a web app made with Rev.

I don't understand what are you guys in need of.

andre