Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jun 10 12:23:09 EDT 2007

On 6/10/07, David Bovill <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:

> Chipp - would it not be the best for "stability" to have the  existing
> release cyle as "stable", and those wishing to live on the bleeding edge
> (and get faster bug fixes and to participate in experimental features) to
> opt in for the sort of release cycle that others are requesting?

I believe that is what 'beta testing' is for.

It's really just making the beta
> programme more visible (ie its a plugin and an actively discussed option).
> for one have only ever heard of beta testing once or twice as an aside on
> this list. Stability is usually achieved by getting as much and as early
> user testing as possible. I'd open things up a bit, with a clear
> disclaimer,
> and a plugin along the lines of that being discussed.

I  know Bill Marriot has been a big proponent of beta-testing here on this
list and on the Improve-list. There is a procedure for signing up for
beta-testing and getting the updates. The Enterprise users do have access to
upcoming beta versions via the current update functionality.