Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jun 9 21:45:13 EDT 2007

Bob,

Updating Rev each time a bug fix is made, could be a dicey proposition, as
typcially after a bug is fixed, there still should be unit testing, then
more inside testing, then beta testing, then rc testing, etc. to make sure
fixing the bug didn't break other stuff. I think Rev has taken the position
to do all this in the same cycle, which for a company with limited
resources, is a good way (IMO) to go.

The existing architecture of course could do just as you suggest. But my
biggest fear with a system like this would be we would never end up with a
fairly stable release. The complexity of Rev could create unforseen problems
when fixing one bug only to see a ripple effect of it creating many more.

Richard,

As I think you know, I use our own MagicCarpet updater (both automatic and
manual), for all of our projects. I suppose I've got around 30-40
applications serviced by MagicCarpet in this way. My experience tells me for
those programs which do not need internet access, it is better to go the
manual update way, for the reasons I've already given-- mainly much  less
support hassle when individuals are in situations where they have no
internet connection.

best,

Chipp