Imagine a world in which HyperCard had been open sourced 20 years ago?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jun 9 14:39:39 EDT 2007

David Bovill wrote:

> OK - lets give it a try. The web site is up, but I figure it is of little
> use until it is integrated into the script editor which is partly done...
> I'll work on that now. I guess a question is which library to get up
> first -
> I'll dig up the list of existing libraries and see which one people would
> like most to be worked on?

I appreciate the effort, David, and would love to see this online. But
could it be moved to a place where everyone has access? Web sites change
or go down, enthusiastic admins later run out of time or energy, people
move on to other things. There's a bottleneck while contributors send
their files and then need to wait for the admin to process and release
them. At a public repository people can manage their own uploads,
replace old files with newer versions instantly, and in general have
more control. The libraries will also be accessible beyond the lifetime
of a private web site. Could I convince you to take your current energy
and apply it to something like this?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com