Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Thu Jun 7 19:59:19 EDT 2007

On 08/06/07, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> And since the engine remains free for CGI use, the differences for most
> folks are pretty minor.

 Beg to differ :) If the cgi engine had been open - several years back I
would have a crack at creating an Apache module. I had quite some
difficulties talking sys admins into installing Metacard or Rev engines - so
apart from the speed improvements - there was the trust and security factors
- no amount of Scott Raney talking to people to the sys admins direct really
reassured them - they simply did not trust closed source wierd stuff from a
security point of view.

I'd think there would be a number of possible routes that people would take
up if the CGI engine was open - there is the fastcgi / lightHTTP thing and
some nice fast HTTP servers written in C that could be looked at for Web
application serving. Right now - its not on the cards for me - but a few
years back the developers I new would have put a few months into that - open
source style only.

But then on the other hand I can't find two more volunteers to do some
> pretty lightweight scripting on the MC IDE, so maybe not. ;)

I'd love to - though as I'm exploring the dual license possibilities I'm not
sure how to mix it in with GPL code - any ideas?