Fixed stack IDs?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 7 17:10:50 EDT 2007

Ken Ray wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:06:44 +0100, David Bovill wrote:
>> Do I remember reading that there is a recent feature / supported /
>> unsupported for permanent stack ids (I know that the ids change as objects
>> are added)?
>>
>> Can't find it anywhere - I'm looking to use a permanent id that will survive
>> stack modifications and (file) name changes.
>
> You could always insert the stack id of the original stack (pre mods)
> into a custom prop and then check that from that point on... I don't
> know about permanent stack IDs, though - I remember we *talked* about
> it, but I don't know if it actually got implemented.

I can't imagine it did.  IDs in Rev are integers -- what would happen if
I made a stack with an IDE and you made a stack which had the same ID
and I gave you my stack to run?

Rev might be able to adopt some sort of GUID function, but there's a far
simpler solution in hand right now:

Stack titles can differ from the stack name, so regardless of whatever I
might display for the user, I tend to use the stack name as its ID.
Since it need not be visible, it need never change.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal