Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Thu Jun 7 15:49:20 EDT 2007

On 07/06/07, Lynn Fredricks <lfredricks at proactive-intl.com> wrote:

> I can see between 37 Signals and Runtime, but a whole
> lot of differences too. That doesn't mean those moves are going to be
> equally successful for any other company.

Agreed - it doesn't. The devil is in the detail. In an email I can only use
examples / metaphors to make a point. The point is that small companies, can
make it big by opening up the language or tool environment that is their
core business. Its easy to say that RunRev is not Adobe, but I would be
interested in your thinking as to why RunRev could not make as good a
business out of open sourcing core parts of the C++ engine in a similar way
to 37Signals or MySQL in its early days.

There is a lot to like in Open Source software (speaking of which - are you
> going to OSCON? I am! :-))

I wish - but I don't even know where Oregon is :)

It isnt obvious that what's good for Adobe is good for Runtime, any
> more than soaking in an onsen will suddenly make me more competive with
> the
> Japanese.

I think we agree that a direct comparison with Adobe is not going to get us
very far?

And I'm sure the Japanese and the Germans will be back -  on the general
point open source is hardly a fad - for fads I'd look at AJAX / Web 2
etc....   in fact it is old and slowly and steadily growing. Business models
move slowly, its hardly revolutionary to suggest that to incorporate some of
the better elements of open source within a tool development business is
sensible. For a Revolution you'd be looking at something bolder.