Imagine a world in which HyperCard had been open sourced 20 years ago?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Thu Jun 7 06:40:26 EDT 2007

How would the world of software languages that we know of now be different?

Perhaps:

   1. Visual Basic would not have had the success that it did as
   companies re-hacked HyperTalk to fit their business needs
   2. We'd have got colour and video and object orientation well ahead of
   the competition
   3. MetaCard would have been born as an Open Source company based
   around customising the engine for larger corporations
   4. RunRev would have produced the RevIde and repackaged it for a new
   market - without the same start-up costs
   5. Others Galaxies would have been produced
   6. We'd have got these benefits cheaper, they would have got more
   customers
   7. Businesses would be making money with the engine and there would be
   many many such businesses

Have some fun and picture it - dream or nightmare? It's a serious question,
for those thinking of investing their skills.