Bluetooth/USP GPS

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Jun 5 17:02:24 EDT 2007

Camm29 wrote:
> RunRev can now see that data on RS232 Port 1 , you will have to check what
> sort of Data
> the GPS transmit and/or receives ????? Are they simple commands etc ????

Almost certainly yes - we did a project with Rev interfacing to (USB) GPS last
year, and it was trivial to read.

Almost all GPS units have an "NMEA" compatible mode which is very easy to work
with, and is well documented on the internet.  From fading memory, the Garmin
units may be the outliers here.

As far as the simple interface is concerned, we found that all the USB units
we tested had drivers for Windows which faked being a serial device (and
indeed the hardware for these things generally is designed for RS232, with a
chip in front to convert to USB).  Mac was a little harder but most devices
turned out to be using one of two chipsets to convert their native serial to
USB, and it was possible to track down Mac drivers for both of them.  I'm not
a serious Linux user, but in at least one of these two I recall seeing a Linux
driver also.

HTH,

- Ben