Bluetooth/USP GPS

Chris Condit ccondit at geo.umass.edu
Mon Jun 4 15:20:25 EDT 2007

Hi Camm-

Looking at my MacBookPro's System Preferences, it appears if I go to
"Bluetooth" settings, that under "Sharing" I  have the option to
"Start Serial Port" using one of two "Type" settings, either "Modem"
or "RS232" .   By default, the port is named "SerialPort-1" .

To me, that implies that if I select RS232 as my "Type" setting , a
Bluetooth GPS will be communicating through SerialPort-1 as if it was
an RS232 device.

Does that make sense?

thanks for your continuing help on this - I want to make sure I buy
the correct GPS system!

Chris
************************
CAMM29 said:
Chris ,
Well , that's not exactly what I said !
RunRev only has in built Commands for RS232 Type Data talking via RS232 Com
Ports 1-9 ,
My setup is
PC Side (RunRev) ----  USB to Bluetooth Dongle configured as Virtual RS232
Com Port 1
Third Party Side --- Bluetooth to RS232 Convertor
So RunRev thinks its talking via a standard RS232 Link , its does not matter
what the transmission medium is but
RunRev must see RS232 Data on a RS232 ComPort at the end of the day !!!

Hope that Helps !

Regards
Camm
--
Dr. Christopher D. Condit,  Associate Prof.,  Dept. of Geosciences
Univ. Massachusetts,  611 North Pleasant St., Amherst, MA, 01003-9297