Quartam PDF Library

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 06:37:31 EDT 2007

--- -= JB =- <sundown at nwrain.net> wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I just looked at the info and samples related to
> your Quartam PDF Library.  It looks good but I
> have a few questions.
>
> 1.  It mentioned something about not all of the
> fonts are supported yet.  I need to be able to
> print anything that can be typed.  I need color,
> styles and fonts to print as seen.  I also want
> to have an full justification option & it sounds
> like you have provided it.

Fonts and styles are special beasties in the PDF
world. It's a long story, dating back to PDF's origin
in PostScript.
For instance, the font must supply separate bold and
italic (aka oblique) fonts to support those two
styles. Underline, strikethrough, outline, shadow and
all that fun aren't even in the PDF specification.

The best part is that I have to actually parse the
postscript and truetype font files to figure out the
exact width of characters - it's not because something
is 6 pixels wide, that this means it's automatically 3
millimeters on paper: the screen version is an
approximation of the font definition.
This parsing system is complicated and not yet
finished. And it gets even better if you also have to
support unicode. So it's something that will take some
time to finish.

In the meantime, the standard set will suffice for
most purposes.

> 2.  I want to be able to print text and graphics
> anywhere at anytime during the printing.  That
> means I want to be able to print text on graphics,
> text on text, graphics on graphics and graphics
> on text.

That is no problem, as everything is layered in the
sequence that you draw graphics, images and text.

> 3.  It mentioned I can select a custom paper
> size.  Are there any limitations on the size.  If
> I want to select a size of 48" x 140" could I do
> it.  Not that I want to I am just wondering.

If Acrobat can display it, it will work ;-)

> 4.  I assume there are no royalties involved.
> It looks like you have a special of $99.  You
> said it was an introductory offer.  Is that a full
> version and how much are upgrades if I buy
> it.  How long will the $99 offer be going for.

Not all details have been determined. The introductory
offer is for the full version which allows you to
include the library royalty-free in your standalone
application.
The $99 offer will probably run for a month or so.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>