All this talk about DataBases - Valentina

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Fri Jun 1 10:56:24 EDT 2007

>     I have read some about Valentina.  They say it is fast
> and can be used with
>     the Studio version of Rev.  Oracle needs the higher
> version of Rev.
>
>     I tried to read the license to learn about any royalties
> I would need to pay
>     with Valentina but I really didn't find the answer.
>
>     Does Valentina require any royalties with software I sell
> if I decide to use
>     it as my chosen database.
>
>     What features does Oracle have that would make me
> consider using it
>     instead of Valentina or vice versa.
>
>     I am assuming if I choose Valentina I need the Developers
> Kit if I am going
>     to market the software.  Any info about Valentina and
> Revolution good or
>     bad would be nice to know.  I have been to the website already.

Unless you want to do something that violates the EULA, Valentina is royalty
free. With the "ADKs" its pretty simple - you can develop and deploy as many
as many apps as you like and ship as many units as you like.

With VDN, you can deploy the Valentina Embedded Server in its default
5-connection verision also without limitation.

There are two options to consider if you need more than this default 5:

1. Connections. You can buy additional connections that you in turn can sell
to your customers. So if you have 5 customers for example, and they wanted:
7 connections, 10 connections, 6 connections, 20 connections and 8
connections, then you wou would need (2,5,1,15,3) 26 additional connections.
You can buy these in volume and get the price way down on a per connection
basis.

2. Embedded Server - Infinite. There's a per deployment no limits connection
version of Embedded Server you can sell your customers. It cost $400.

The Embedded Server option really comes into its own with VDN Pro and VDN
Enterprise. VDN Pro also includes VPHP, VRUBY and VODBC. With VDN
Enterprise, you also get the SSL and Bonjour adapters (you can get these
also with any version of VDN, at a separate cost). With these options, you
are effectively able to deploy the equivalent of our high end Valentina
Office Server.

Something I would like to point out with these options, compared with mySQL,
Oracle, MS SQL Server, is that, except for some very minimal requirements
(copyrights, etc), mostly rebrand our servers. Even if you get a deal with
the company to deploy their server, their server is very strongly branded.
Your customer really becomes THEIR customer. You don't have to "lock" your
customer into Valentina certainly. But the methodology we use basically
ensures that we don't compete against our own customers.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software