Opening an untitled and unsaved NotePad file via shell

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Jul 27 10:59:23 EDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:36:22 +0000, Mark E. Powell wrote:

> I can put data into a text file and open it via shell, but this
> method tends to leave a flotsam of files on disk, unless I recycle
> the file name and overwrite (which I don't want to do).
>
> Is it possible to put data into a text file that is *not* saved to
> disk and has no name?  i.e. as if Note Pad were launched and text
> were pasted into the document?

Not that I'm aware of - Notepad can take a command line parameter, but
it is the path to the file it should open. The only other way you might
be able to get data into Notepad is to script it with VBS (if it's
scriptable), but then you have a '.vbs' script that you needed to
create to cause this to happen, which is just as bad as having a
temporary file...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com