Is it possible to limit text input in a field based upon its height?

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Fri Jul 20 18:01:54 EDT 2007

Hello.

I once used something similar to what Bob suggested. (Though I should
look at Bob's "line" solution to see if it won't work better.)  The
following doesn't work perfectly in all cases... but perhaps it will
provide an idea.

-- this goes in the field
on rawKeyUp
   FieldLimiter -- don't allow typing past the visible bottom of the
field
   pass rawKeyUp
end rawKeyUp

-- this goes somewhere in the message path of the field(s)
on FieldLimiter -- don't allow typing past the bottom of fixed-sized
fields
   if (the textheightsum of the target) > (the height of the target +
12)  then -- 12 is a "slop" factor
     if (word 4 of the selectedChunk) < (the num of chars of the
target) then
       -- they are in the middle of the text somewhere so don't
delete characters off the end
      -- play the uAlertSound of stack "Hidden"
       exit FieldLimiter
     end if
     -- they are typing at the end of the text chunk... don't let
them insert characters
     delete last char of the target
    -- play the uAlertSound of stack "Hidden"
     repeat 5 times -- 5 is arbitrary
       if the textheightsum of the target < (the height of the target
+ 12) then
         exit repeat
       end if
       delete last char of the target