Update doc type associations on OS X

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 20 17:42:11 EDT 2007

I'm making an installer for OS X which will install the latest version
of my app while leaving any older version the user may have installed
intact.

But when the user double-clicks a document associated with my app, I
want to make sure the Finder associates that document type with the new
app, not the older version they user may have been using.

In the Finder's Get Info window there's a way to tell the OS to
associate a specific doc type with a specific application.  How can I do
this programmatically in my installer?  Is there some nifty AppleScript
command to do that?

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin