Paste into field issue

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jul 17 18:40:05 EDT 2007

Timothy Miller wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:53 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>    set the htmltext of fld 1 to the clipboardData["html"]
>
> Well, sure. That isn't hard.
>
> The problem is going to occur with unsophisticated users, like me, who
> don't understand what the problem is, and suffer frustration as a
> consequence. This is a tiny bit user-unfriendly. Probably not good for
> RR. Of course, they have limited resources and are doing the best they can.

Oh yes, it's very unfriendly, no question. The whole unicode business is
pretty awful right now. It isn't intuitive, and Mark Waddingham says he
wants to make it "just work" so that you don't have to worry about what
kind of text you're pasting. But for now, that's what we've got.

When I complained to him once about unicode, he offered to send me a
copy of the 4,000 pages of unicode specs he was studying. :)

> OTOH, if I can paste unicode into Stickies, TextEdit, or an email
> client, I guess the computational task isn't that hard, and I suppose
> the necessary code is available off the shelf.

Well...yes and no. If Rev were just a Mac app, then they could use the
Apple libraries (that's what HC did.) Or if it were just a Windows app,
they could use Windows libraries (which are different.) And then there's
the 'nix issues too, and I'm not sure exactly what's available there. At
any rate, RR needs to pretty much write (or adapt) their own libraries
for this so that it will go cross platform for everybody and integrate
well with the field object.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com