Why Save the Mac Mini

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Jul 16 16:06:18 EDT 2007

Mick Collins wrote:
> I beg to differ.  I use the (pre-Intel) 17" PowerBook (Apple) and because of what I use it for (math tutoring and educational development and demonstration)  I could use a smaller laptop but that would not be "practical" for me for the tutoring aspect and no more "practical" for the development and demo.  Personally, except for the likely price with current tech, I'd love to have a 23" laptop.  Makes me shy away from your other claims because you apparently make some assumptions about other people's uses that don't really hold water.

ditto that: we all upgraded to MacBooks, most everyone went for 15"
for the smaller foot print as we move around a lot.

  2 of us stayed with 17" -- it really was a good decision.

1) speakers on the 15" MacBook Pro are horrible,
you can't really use them for a presentation without speakers.
But the ones on the 17" are great.

2) I use *all* the desktop space I can get... 17" plus 30"
cinema display, consider these windows, which, gradually thru the day
must be open simultaneously:

My revolution PIM stack, Thunderbird, SKYPE, Firefox, (our wiki in one
window
and a another window for surfing) usually 1-3 BBEdit
windows open, one or two windows from some other REv app that is
running, InDesign CS3, Photoshop and interarchy and then Finder windows
for  our server on the LAN. Oh yes, and possibly we might need to open
Portfolio or iView  for a quick photo catalog check... Thank God for
Drag Thing!

has nothing to do with hi rez Efficiency studies have shown that
for every square inch of desktop
space you give your staff, you save that many
hand-to-mouse window resizing and moving operations,
with significant productivity gains: it's about
window space. They have done video's over people's
shoulders and on small screen the amt of time just spent
"playing with your windows" sometimes approaches 20%+
of the total man hours over a month's time.

Others here think I'm kidding, but I could-would actually
use all the space on another 30 monitor if I had one.