Need for Speed (postscript)

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Sun Jul 15 16:50:16 EDT 2007

Has someone benchmarked this?

I could easily stand corrected on this (not tested by me), but I'd
look for a way to touch the variable outPutData "by reference" (in
other words touching as little as possible).

  "Put into", I think, has more overhead. In a situation with so much
data, every little bit helps.

I know that in HC, when you put somevariable into tOutVariable, that
the entire tOutVariable gets recreated, not just appended.

Ken Ray has a demonstration of the the use of "by reference" but does
not allude to any speed improvement.

http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/scrp003.htm

Also again I could be corrected, but perhaps moving the data from
field "massList" into a variable might speed things up a bit. I'm
wondering that ANY referring to any field from inside such a long
loop is a possible time consumer.

another thing -- the last line in the loop

put "====================" & return after outputData

perhaps that could be a constant, defined at the top of the script

constant kBarDisplay = "===================="

then use this in the loop
put kBarDisplay & return after outputData

this one might have negligible difference, but I haven't tested this.