"words" within quotations, smart quotes v double quotes

Mark Swindell mdswindell at cruzio.com
Sun Jul 15 00:12:49 EDT 2007

Thanks for the responses.  What I'm trying to accomplish is to strip
the quotes out of random text imported to a field, act on the
remaining text word by word, char by char, and then replace the
quotes when I'm done.  The problem arises in that when double quotes
are present in the text everything within them is reduced to a single
"word" for Rev.  "What are you doing?" becomes a single word with 19
chars rather than four words of different lengths.

At any rate, I used a different strategy and changed out the quotes
for something obscure, and it works fine.  But what is the ascii for
smart quotes?

Thanks,
Mark