localizing software

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sat Jul 14 05:31:30 EDT 2007

Hi Graham,

Le 13 juil. 07 à 20:37, Graham Samuel a écrit :

> My point is that either version of the above is preferable to writing
>
> Answer myStringConstant468
>
> In other words, the author should still use meaningful names for
> his/her strings in his/her own native language, otherwise all
> coding will have to be done with a dictionary, which takes away
> some of the charm of the human-readable scripting language which we
> all know and love. I suppose this is really saying that what Eric
> calls the ID of the text string should clearly remind the developer
> what the string was intended to say.
>
> I hope other people agree with this approach.

 From a productive point of view, I am not sure to agree ;-)
In the app we have in beta tests, we use about 6000 strings (1000
strings in six languages) and of course, the same string can be used
in several places.
So I don't think possible to keep a meaningful name for each of the
1000 strings...
I would need a lot of imagination, a big dictionary and my memory
would not enough :-)

So I prefer to act as follows:
I have my Rev project and Excel always open at the same time.
As soon as I create a new button for instance, I need a label.
I create the label in Excel:

And I feed my code with this ID in Rev.
I reserve a range from 1000 to 1100 for the most common used strings
("OK", "Cancel", etc.) and I know these by heart...
Using an Excel sheet (saved as text) is very handy because you may
sort lines, search, etc.
And when you have 6000 strings, not having these tools would be
really painful.

My two cents.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.