Why Save the Mac Mini

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jul 12 16:30:46 EDT 2007

My own personal saga re: the Mini.

I went to the Apple store to purchase one, just to have a Mac around
to test on. After pricing it, vs the MacBook, it became clear the
MacBook was a much better value. I forget the details, but AFAIRecall,
after you upgraded the processor to Core Duo and added enough RAM and
a decent size HD to make it work, you were already over $1000. So for
another couple hundred you get a MacBook-- no problem making that
decision.

If they were to price the Mini competitively, then I think it would
work just fine. But as it stands now, it's way over-priced for what
you get, IMO.

BTW, I just purchased a  Sony All-in-one VGC-LS21N  from TigerDirect
for my wife for $1,050. It has Intel(r) Core(r) 2 Duo processor, 2GB
of RAM, 250GB hard drive, a stunning 1650x1050 19" widescreen display
with XBRITE  LCD. It runs Business Vista-- and, yes Mark, it runs
Vista fast. I love this machine and think Apple should have one like
it. Only 1-wire- the AC plug. The keyboard folds up on itself to
protect the keys. Very nice Industrial Design.

Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/2hmd6m