OT - shell script to kill a process

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:10:22 EDT 2007

Tried this. All parts seem to work except now I'm getting an
"operation not permitted" error from the kill command. I'm running it
with sudo, so I don't understand why this would happen. But I did
verify that the correct pid is now getting returned. In fact, the
entire error message reads, "kill: 1031: Operation not permitted",
and 1031 is the correct pid.

Any other thoughts? :-(

On Jul 10, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Ah... actually use {print $1} (you want the first chunk)... so try
> this:
>
> ps -awx | grep 'TextEdit' | grep -v 'grep' | awk '{print $1}' | xargs
> -I pid kill -9 pid

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company