PDF files handling

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 15:24:12 EDT 2007

--- Bryan McCormick <bryan at deepfoo.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This may have been answered long ago. Maybe not.
> What I have is a
> collection now approaching thousands of academic
> papers. I would like to
> be able to read the titles of these papers (usually
> nicely isolated on
> page 1) into rev and associate the title with the
> file name. In other
> words, build a simple topic to file index. I have no
> idea how to even
> start this in Rev. Or even if it is all that good an
> idea.
>
> Why do I want to do this?
>
> First, so that the papers can be more easily
> cataloged.
>
> Second, once cataloged, I want to be able to do my
> own annotations and
> what not. The plan actually is to generate a catalog
> page in HTML so
> that people in the office can browse the papers more
> easily on the
> server share.
>
> Oh, and I would prefer not to have to run another
> server process to
> index them, etc.
>
> Can Rev do such a thing (easily) or am I destined to
> pick up the light
> version of Google's indexing server?

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to answer so late, but I didn't get around to
this flagged email until now. As I ought to know a
thing or two about the PDF file format, I gave it a
shot.

You can download the result from:
<http://www.quartam.com/tutorials/pdfmetadata.rev>
Or if you have an older version of Revolution:
<http://www.quartam.com/tutorials/pdfmetadata.legacy.rev>
The magic is in the card script.

It seems to do the trick for the collection of PDF
files I dropped onto it; files created with the
Quartam PDF Library were easy enough (as I like
creating clean files), but I had a bit more work to
get other files to display the results properly.

If you find PDF files that it cannot extract the
information from, while you can display it in Adobe
Reader or Preview, feel free to send them to me so I
can tweak the stack.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====