implicitVars [Was: Re: Best Practices in Rev development]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 6 15:25:28 EDT 2007

Kay C Lan wrote:

> Unfortunately, Rev and CopyPaste don't get on :-(

I have a frontscript that lives in a plugin and automatically gets put
in use whenever I launch Rev. Adding scriptpaint to it was a one-liner,
I just did it a couple of minutes ago since it seems like such a great idea.

In case anyone else might find this useful, here are some details. The
handler does these things:

1. Uses the standard HC keystrokes to edit card and stack scripts
(Cmd-Opt-C and Cmd-Opt-S.) After 20 years of xtalk work, these are
hard-coded into my brain. They are also the keystrokes MC uses, so I
don't have to remember to change my habits when I'm in Rev.

2. Uses the standard HC keystroke Cmd-Opt-B to edit the first background
(group) script if there is one. I do a lot of HC conversions, and every
HC stack has a background on every card. Most of the time, this gets me
where I want to go.

3. Exits if the target is not the script editor. If it is, checks to see
if the shift key is down as well as the Command key. If so, executes
these shortcuts:

4. Cmd-Shift-quote: put quotes around the selected text. If there is no
selection, a pair of quotes is inserted with nothing between. I use it
mostly for fixing imported HC scripts containing unquoted literals.

5. Cmd-Shift-equals or Cmd-Shift-hyphen: inserts the special marker I
use for comments I want to look at again later. Has two triggers because
I sometimes miss when I reach to the top of the keyboard without looking.

6. Cmd-Shift-9 or Cmd-Shift-0: bracket the selection with parentheses.
If no selection, inserts a pair of parentheses. Good for writing
functions or visually enclosing segments of multiple "if"s. Doesn't
backtrack (see next.)

7. Cmd-Shift-[ or Cmd-Shift-]: same as parentheses, but inserts square
brackets for arrays. This one also backtracks the insertion point so you
can start typing in between them. I didn't backtrack for parentheses
because most of the time I add parentheses to existing text. You could
change it.

8. Cmd-Shift-space: New addition, does scriptPaint. Inserts the word
under the mouse into the selection.

Here is the handler (watch for wrap):

on commandKeyDown whichKey
   -- HyperActive Software: Revolution and MetaCard frontscript
   if the optionKey is down and "revLibrary.rev" is in the frontscripts then
     switch whichKey
     case "s"
       edit script of this stack
       break
     case "c"
       edit script of this cd
       break
     end switch
     exit commandKeyDown
   end if
   if whichKey = "b" and there is a grp 1 then edit script of grp 1
   if "editor field" is not in the name of the target \
       or the shiftkey is not down
   then pass commandKeyDown
   switch whichKey
   case "'"
     put quote & the selection & quote into the selection
     break
   case "="
   case "-"
     put " -" & "-" & "#"&"#"&"#" into the selection
     break
   case "9"
   case "0"
     put "(" & the selection & ")" into the selection
     break
   case "["
   case "]"
     get the selection
     put "[" & it & "]" into the selection
     if it = "" then
       put the selectedchunk into tSel
       put word 4 of tSel into word 2 of tSel
       put (word 4 of tSel) - 1 into word 4 of tSel
       select tSel
     end if
     break
   case " " -- scriptPaint
     put the mousetext into the selection
     break
   default
     pass commandKeyDown
   end switch
end commandKeyDown

To make this load when Rev launches, put the handler into a button
script in a new stack. Put this handler into the stack script:

on revPreOpenStack
   if "myScripts" is not in the frontscripts
   then insert the script of btn "myScriptBtn" into front
end revPreOpenStack

Put the stack in your plugins folder. Relaunch Rev. Use the Plugins
Setting (Development menu) to open the stack invisibly when Rev starts
up. Select "revPreOpenStack" from the list of messages to send.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com