insert cursor bug

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri Jul 6 10:17:34 EDT 2007

I posted this to the IMPROVE list but nobody with an INTEL mac has
confirmed this. This appears to be a problem ONLY with INTEL versions
of REV. Please help me confirm this. Demo stack link below.

  Sometimes we design text fields with their background a dark color
and the foreground a light color. In order to create and edit text in
these situation the INSERTION POINT must reverse from black to white
(or an inverse of the textcolor) and the INSERTION CURSOR must do the
same or else it cannot be seen.

http://barncard.com/insertion_bug/insertion271.jpg

This makes very difficult any text editing where the background of
the field is dark and the text is light. I do not have a INTEL native
text editor handy that can do a black background to see if this is a
OS problem.

I've seen this reported as BUG 4033

In REV 2.8.1 on INTEL MacbookPRO MacOS 10.4.10 it appears that this
reversal never happens with the INSERTION CURSOR, yet the INSERTION
POINT does reverse.  As I use the Chalkboard motif in Galaxy, I
started noticing this, and in fact it has made working that way
impossible.

http://barncard.com/insertion_bug/insertion281.jpg

My point is - this has to be something the engine provides or a
MacOSX INTEL bug, as the cursor will always change to the 'official'
INSERTION CURSOR when hovering above an unlocked text field and just
creating a special white INSERTION CURSOR will not work.

Please consider voting for this... BUG 4033

demo stack at

go URL "http://barncard.com/insertion_bug/cursorAndInsertion_BUG_Demo.rev"

demo movie  (1 mb)
http://barncard.com/insertion_bug/insertion_Cursor_Bug.mov