What I did with Rev last night

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jul 4 13:12:15 EDT 2007

I have a ditzy canary that was taken from his parents too early. Male
canaries need to learn to sing, and during their first year they listen
to other males, extract portions of various songs, and recombine pieces
into a song that is their own. This song identifies them to other
canaries and every male's song is unique.

Unfortunatly my little guy had no one to learn from, so he has been
belting out songs copied from wild birds he hears through the window, in
particular, the mourning doves that hang out on our roof. I heard him
practicing carefully for weeks ("ooooh-oo-oo. Oo. Oo." Sung with a
litttle trill.) It's very funny, but not really a song that a decent
canary would be proud of.

I looked at CDs you can purchase to teach your canary to sing, but
figured I could do better. So I downloaded some sample mp3 canary files
from a web site, tossed in a few I recorded from my previous canary, and
made a little stack that plays back random songs at random time
intervals. It took me about 20 minutes to write.

This morning I started the stack running and my little bird is
responding, singing his mourning dove call at the top of his voice. Then
he listens intently. With luck, he'll learn some new tunes. The house is
full of bird song, it's lovely.

It is so satisfying to be able to write whatever I need. Anyone else
done little personal stacks with Rev lately?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com