[ANN} Writing (not drawing) with the pencil

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 4 11:52:22 EDT 2007

> Message: 26
> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Judy Perry <jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu>
> Subject: Re: [ANN} Writing (not drawing) with the pencil
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Ahhh, yes, I remember this solution from the HC list.
>
> I wanted to produce a similar effect and covered the "handwriting"
> with a
> bazillion little teeny-tiny buttons that were sequentially hidden.
>
> Worked, tho'!
>
> I remember somebody suggesting that I bite the bullet and learn
> Flash, but
> I think Flash's not exactly cheap these days...
>
> Love the pencil stack!  In my mind's eye I keep seeing the
> "drawing" of
> Elizabeth I's signature at I think it was either the beginning or
> the end
> of  each episode of the 1970s BBC miniseries on Elizabeth starring
> Glenda
> Jackson.
>
> Judy
>

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I'm not sure whether this would suit your needs, but one
>> classic way to do this is to start with the complete signature, then
>> erase it little by little while recording a frame every so often, and
>> then run the animation backward so you see the signature appearing.

Thanks Jean and Judy. A useful suggestion that managed to filter
through the noise.

I was hoisted on the petard of my  own distraction with that
reference to the number 2 pencil.

I was hoping that there would some mechanism within Run Rev to
construct a graphic alphabet from a set of image characters. Perhaps
import a character from Photoshop and let Run Rev create a set of
points by reading the image data. I have had no experience with this
sort of thing.

I found a much  better image than the pencil. It is  a hand holding a
pen. Take a look at:

         go url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/
WritingWithPen.rev"

Also, it bothered me a bit that my enhanced points I used needed an
end point  correction.

Here is a fix. If L is the length of the line defined by two given
end points, and one chooses a pixel separation s, then the number of
points will be L/s = n.

But this n is not necessarily a whole number. So let N = round(n) and
choose a modified pixel separation S = L/N. You are then assured that
N times S is exactly  equal to L,  the given  line length and there
is no end point correction.

Or, briefly, this method allows only segment lengths which  exactly
fill the length of the given line. To see this in action check the
last card in the URL cited above.

Jim