Automatic mail send (RevMail?)

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue Jul 3 10:15:54 EDT 2007

Shao Sean library works great. My library which is available on RevOnline is
to be used on just one case, when you don't have SMTP configuration
available so it acts as the SMTP mailer, this works with some servers but
don't work with others because some server will do a reverse MX records
check in the IP that is sending the email to see if it can be a SMTP mailer,
which usually it can't, so the mail will be rejected as span. I use my
library for I know that .Mac allows anything thru and I am using it only to
send email to me :-)
For error reporting, I don't recommend sending email from the app but using
a CGI call that act as a conduit to the email. Firewalls or complex networks
make sending emails not the most trivial task in the world, it's better to
use something like:

    post TheErrorReport to URL TheErrorCGIURL

And this CGI can then dispatch the mail for you. This way you have a clear
and flexible solution, for example, what happens when you change emails or
are overquota with a solution that simply sends emails, you can't patch
everyone. I recommend using a CGI.

Also with the CGI approach you can gather statistical data and mine this
data for stuff to achieve your goals.

Cheers
andre