Alt-things re-uploaded, more

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 27 03:25:42 EST 2007

OK,  did all this to the best of my ability.

1)  Put the downloaded file into an Externals folder in the top level Rev
folder.  The file is SQLite3Demo-1.rev.  Is this what it should be?  Its what
there was to download.

2)  Start up Rev, new mainstack.

3)  set externals of the stack to the file in one of two ways, either in the
message box by command, or using the stack properties inspector browsing to
the location.  Result is the same.  For completeness the command used was

set the external of this stack
to /home/peter/Desktop/Revolution-2.6.1/SQLite3Demo-1.rev

but the other way using the properties inspector was just to navigate to it
and click on it and open.

4)  Save the stack

5) Close it and purge from memory

6) Re-open it.

There is a perceptible delay on opening.  About 4 or 5 seconds.  After which
the stack opens just as it did when first created.  Subsequent openings do
not have this delay.

7)  Check in the stack properties inspector.  Yes, the external file is still
selected.

8) Try, using the multiline message box

get the externalCommands of this stack
put it

(also tried it with functions and packages)

Nothing.

Presumably at some point there should be an opportunity to use the name and
password Rev supplies on the download site?  At one point in all the googling
to try to make this work, I came on a demo screen.  Presumably at some point
this should come up.  How?

I am sorry to plague the list with what may be very elementary queries.
However, the zero documentation policy leaves one no other place to turn.  It
cannot be sensible.   I also still do wonder whether anyone has ever made
this stuff work on Linux.  There was no reply to the question last time,
which was interesting.

Peter